Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:07:00 +1000
From: "Robert Crossley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [MI-L] ESRI Geodatabase "formats" (way off topic)
To: <mapinfo-l@lists.directionsmag.com>

To me, a lot of the attractiveness of the Arc personal database is its
encapsulation of the objects within a data record, giving better data
integrity and allowing you to maintain both the data and the spatial objects
from Access or MapInfo (or am I wrong here?).

MapInfo already has this capability with the Oracle products (whereas Arc
needs its Spatial Data Engine to do this).  I still haven't got around to
experimenting with the latest free version of Oracle XE, but my reading
suggests that it should be able to act as a data repository for MapInfo data
and satisfy that requirement at least.

Perhaps, MapInfo could streamline Oracle's setup for its purposes, and some
of the equivalent functionality with triggers etc?  Even some guideance on
what can be done and what can't would be a help.  MapInfo's ability to work
natively with the Oracle Spatial Data is really a point of difference
between Arc and MapInfo, but is not really exploited very well.