Jonathan

There is a little bit of information on using MapInfo with Oracle within
the MapInfo user guide.  It is pretty basic, really just how to load
files into Oracle and access them from within MapInfo.

Once the files are loaded in, and then if you want to make use of the
spatially enabled database, then the Oracle Spatial documentation is
pretty good.  To get your feet wet, I would suggest setting up Oracle XE
on your machine.  This has Oracle Locator in it, and is free.  Locator
has the base features that allow spatial information to be stored and
queried from within the database, but is not as extensive as the full
Oracle Spatial implementation.  The advantage is that it is free.  It
has a limitation of 4GB of data, but as far as having a look at the
features, that is more than adequate.

I found XE pretty easy to set up and it has quite a nice interface.  I
didn't have too much trouble using Easy Loader to load up data, using
the default OCI connection.

Oracle Express Edition (XE)
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

Oracle Spatial documentation (the most recent document has information
on the difference between Locator and full Spatial.)  This is a good
reference to see what spatial analysis can be done.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/spatial.html

Hope this helps

James