After a bit of experimentation I have discovered that
using single quotes, to enclose the element value, allows
double quotes to be used in the query.

ie:

DATA 'the_geom from (select oid,gid, the_geom, "Area","Perimeter","PixelValue" FROM global_Land_poly WHERE "PixelValue"=1 ) AS FOO using SRID=4326'

Thanks to all,

Peter

Peter Willis wrote:

I tried that. I get the following error:

loadLayer(): Unknown identifier. Parsing error near (Area):(line 30)

Mapserver doesn't appear to like the additional formatting.
Do I need to recompile with system regex I wonder....?

Peter

Adam Eskreis wrote:
You could try regex

\"Area\"