Hi Jukka

Thanks for the response and the great investigative work!
My log entry for drawing the layer is - [Fri Sep 03 10:01:25 2010].658000
msDrawMap(): Layer 1 (meanspringpeakflow), 24.500s. :o(

I do wonder if my Mapfile layer definition is just v.poor (admittedly no
expert!) so have taken an excerpt of the layer defintion (there are about 15
classes in all) - views anyone, should I be loading it a different way?

Also Jukka, could I get a sample of your scale dependent WMS GROUP layer map
code - as it sounds like a great idea maybe for this but also some v.hi-res
model grids I am thinking about.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Chris

LAYER
  NAME "meanspringpeakflow"
  TYPE polygon
  DEBUG 5
  DATA "Tide"
  TEMPLATE void
  PROJECTION
   "+proj=utm +zone=31 +ellps=GRS80 +units=m +no_defs"
  END
  METADATA
    "DESCRIPTION" "Mean Spring Peak Flow"
    "RESULT_FIELDS" "ID,DISTANCE,DEPTH,MEAN_SP_PC"
    "RESULT_HEADERS" "ID,Minimum Distance (m),Average Depth (m),Mean Spring
Peak Flow (m/s)"
    "ows_title"      "meanspringpeakflow"
    "RESULT_HYPERLINK" "ID|| Load graphing tool"
  END  # Metadata
        CLASS
            NAME '> 4.00 (m/s) '
            EXPRESSION ([MEAN_SP_PC] >= 4 AND [MEAN_SP_PC] < 4.5)
            STYLE
                COLOR 135 99 64
            END #end style
        END # end class
        CLASS
            NAME '3.51 - 4.00'
            EXPRESSION ([MEAN_SP_PC] >= 3.5 AND [MEAN_SP_PC] < 4)
            STYLE

                COLOR 158 126 63
            END #end style
        END # end class