Chris,

I've used the Iconic Rewriter with older versions of IIS (the native rewriting capability in IIS7 looks interesting). You may be able to use an environment variable to set the default map file, but this may not be very useful if you have multiple map files. There are a few other options for hiding the mapfile (proxy script, redirect, form post instead of get, etc), put I think the rewrite method is the most effective (the client never gets the map file path), with almost no performance hit.

The way I access Mapnik tiles in mapserver is to create a layer in the map file:

LAYER
    DATA "frmt_wms_openstreetmap_MAPNIK.xml"
    NAME "Mapnik"
    PROJECTION
"proj=merc" "a=6378137" "b=6378137" "lat_ts=0.0" "lon_0=0.0" "x_0=0.0" "y_0=0" "k=1.0" "units=m" "nadgrids=@null" "no_defs"
    END
    STATUS ON
    TYPE RASTER
    PROCESSING "OVERSAMPLE_RATIO=1"
    PROCESSING "LOAD_FULL_RES_IMAGE=NO"
    UNITS METERS
END # LAYER

and frmt_wms_openstreetmap_MAPNIK.xml XML file of

<GDAL_WMS>
<Service name="TMS">
<ServerUrl>http://tile.openstreetmap.org/${z}/${x}/${y}.png</ServerUrl>
</Service>