Chris,

If you have a current version of Mapserver (v5,v6?), then should be GDAL compiled in. The GDAL library needs to find projection definition files so I usually include the following in all my map files:

    CONFIG "PROJ_LIB" "\ms4w\proj\nad"
    CONFIG "GDAL_DATA" "\ms4w\gdaldata"

Another potential problem you may be having is with EPSG:900913. It is not included in GDAL/PROJ's epsg file so I add the following to \ms4w\proj\nad\epsg:

<900913> +proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +no_defs <>

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser