You don't know what you don't know.
What I know:
From a tomcat training video

Web SITE
Web SERVICE
Web SOCKET

Site - formatting
Service - data
Socket - idk. Something to do with _javascript_, AJAX and chat rooms

So a Web mapping/feature service shares maps/features where a wms client like openlayers or leaflet does formatting.

Database ->WMS/WFS -> OpenLayers = website

Is my above reasoning correct?
Is that what a WMS/WFS MapServer is? What am I missing from this big picture model?

Sorry for noob questions. But I when I explain things to my supervisor I want to get things right.  Thanks!
(In the words of Einstein: If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research)

Jeremy Kadir
blueSpace Caribbean
The University of the West Indies
(868) 309 9123