Ok to answer my own question, yes you need <http> section like this for assembly to work:

<source name="D" type="wms">
  <getmap>
    <params>
      <FORMAT>image/png></FORMAT>
      <LAYERS>A,B,C</LAYERS>
    </params>
  </getmap>
  <http>
    <url>http://localhost/mapcache</url>
  </http>
</source>

And you don't need a <tileset> defined for it to work as it reads data from the existing tilesets and assembles the new image. I suppose if you wanted you could also define a new tileset so it would cache the assembled images, but I'm not sure that that is needed except possibly in very high demand situations. But this is just my surmise.

Thanks,
  -Steve