Hi Alexandre,

* Alexandre Leray <alexan...@alexandreleray.com> [2010-03-01 22:35]:
> I have a document with quite long titles and I was wondering if
> it was possible to hard-break them:
>
> e.g.:
>
> This is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry long title
>
> would be
>
> This is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry
> long title
> ==========
>
> Right now it produces two <h1/> tags.

you could always fall back on HTML:

    <h1>This is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry
    long title</h1>

If you need inline formatting inside the header, then hopefully
your implementation supports the `markdown` pseudo-attribute:

    <h1 markdown=1>This is a very, very, very, *very*
    long title</h1>

* Waylan Limberg <way...@gmail.com> [2010-03-02 00:05]:
> And that's the problem, lazy authors have been relying on the
> existing behavior for so long that changing it now could break
> thousands of existing documents.

This sort of laziness seems like a design goal of Markdown, not
a bug in its users.

* Tim Visher <tim.vis...@gmail.com> [2010-03-02 02:30]:
> If you're desperate for a multi-line header in markdown, you
> have a few options.
>
> 1. Use Non-semantic markup directly in the document:
>
>     <h1>This is line one of a<br />
>         very long header!</h1>
>
>    That's not recommended simply on the grounds of it not being
>    semantic and no one likes non-semantic markup. ;)

Non-semantic, says who?

More importantly, the problem was not to display a header across
two lines in the rendered document, it was being able to write
the header across several lines in the source document (and still
have a single tag in the rendered document), so your solutions
aren’t.

Regards,