On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 14:10 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi Drew, *,
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM, drew jensen
> <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 13:23 -0700, Craig Olofson wrote:
> > [...]
> > Jogged the memory also - did something with QR-Code (hmm, not sure who
> > actually generated the code bit..)
>
> There are quite a few web-based QR-Code generators out there. Some@Jinbai -
> you should likely subscribe to the odfAuthors mailing list and talk with
> those folks directly.

> offer only the free text generation, others allow you to switch to a
> specific information type.
> http://zxing.appspot.com/generator/ or
> http://www.qrdvark.com/qr-generator/ have corresponding selections
>
> > Thinking might be worth it to take the design you did for the code and
> > re-craft a new general use, fund raising oriented perhaps, 2012 flyer,
> > or even a campaign (flyer (for print), video, presentation page for
> > members to use as lead/trailer when giving talks (though I have no real
> > knowledge that works...I suppose it does) all with a common look.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Not limited to the fund raising topic,

Absolutely.

It was the subject of last years piece however, and I thought might be
of most interest to Simon, and so my example.

> but of course creating
> dedicated landing pages (that then are "stable" (i.e. URLs that will
> redirect to whatever page is currently in use for that topic) like the
> already existing http://hub.libreoffice.org/file-a-bug could of course
> be setup as well, hub.libreoffice.org/donate or
> hub.libreoffice.org/fundraiser ,....

yup - I get the idea that a level of indirection in the URL adds
flexibility....

> So when you have a "reusable" idea (one where it is beneficial to have
> a long lasting, stable URL that might point to different pages over
> time), feel free to ask to have such a redirection setup.

...though, I'm not quite sure I agree that it matters more for a
published URL represented by a glyph used for machine scanning over one
represented by human readable text.

At the end of the day, typed or scanned, the URL either landed somewhere
usable or not. Which is to say, it is the type of media that adds the
additional need for long term stability to the URL IMO, hard copy
printing, and perhaps even video, being such media.

So I think we actually agree :), that I and others, should take extra
caution when choosing URL's, of any type, for printed materials.
Also, maybe I'm pointing out a difference without much of a distinction.

Anyway - I do like the specific glyph Simon produced and the general
idea, for sure, definitely thinking we ought to incorporate such in a
variety of artifacts.

Best wishes,

//drew

ps - Seems like the hub.libreoffice.org/donate is a good idea - but
best I suppose to discuss that in a different thread?