New publication: Blubber transcriptome response to acute stress axis
activation involved transient changes in adipogenesis and lipolysis in a
fasting-adapted marine mammal (Jane Khudyakov)

Dear colleagues,

We would like to announce the publication of the following paper in
Scientific Reports:

Khudyakov J. I., Champagne C. D., Meneghetti L. M., Crocker D. E.
(2017) Blubber
transcriptome response to acute stress axis activation involves transient
changes in adipogenesis and lipolysis in a fasting-adapted marine mammal. *Sci.
Rep.* 7, 42110; doi: 10.1038/srep42110.

Abstract
Stress can compromise an animal’s ability to conserve metabolic stores and
participate in energy-demanding activities that are critical for fitness.
Understanding how wild animals, especially those already experiencing
physiological extremes (e.g. fasting), regulate stress responses is
critical for evaluating the impacts of anthropogenic disturbance on
physiology and fitness, key challenges for conservation. However, studies
of stress in wildlife are often limited to baseline endocrine measurements
and few have investigated stress effects in fasting-adapted species. We
examined downstream molecular consequences of
hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis activation by exogenous
adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) in blubber of northern elephant seals
due to the ease of blubber sampling and its key role in metabolic
regulation in marine mammals. We report the first phocid blubber
transcriptome produced by RNAseq, containing over 140,000 annotated
transcripts, including metabolic and adipocytokine genes of interest. The
acute response of blubber to stress axis activation, measured 2 hours after
ACTH administration, involved highly specific, transient (lasting <24
hours) induction of gene networks that promote lipolysis and adipogenesis
in mammalian adipocytes. Differentially expressed genes included key
adipogenesis factors which can be used as blubber-specific markers of acute
stress in marine mammals of concern for which sampling of other tissues is
not possible.

You can freely access this paper online at
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep42110 <http://asa.scitation.org/>.

Sincerely,

Jane Khudyakov
Assistant Professor