Dear Marmam,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our paper:

Nanospray liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry analysis of steroids
from gray whale blubber.
Mary Hayden, Ruchika Bhawal, John Escobedo, Clinton Harmon, Todd M. O’Hara,
David Klein, Susan San-Francisco, Masoud Zabet-Moghaddam and
Céline A. J. Godard-Codding
Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 2017, 31, 1088�C1094

Abstract:
RATIONALE: Analysis of steroids from precious blubber biopsies obtained from
marine mammals, especially endangered
species, can provide valuable information on their endocrine status. Challenges
with currently used ELISA methodology
include lack of absolute quantitation and incompatibility with multiple
steroids analysis due to limited biopsy mass.
Development of a sensitive, accurate analytical method for this purpose is
critical.
METHODS: A nanospray liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry
(nanoLC/MS/MS) method was validated
for sensitive, specific and quantitative analysis of three steroid hormones,
without derivatization, extracted from 50 mg
blubber samples. Data was acquired with an LTQ XL ion trap mass spectrometer in
positive ion mode, using single
reaction monitoring. All three steroids were analyzed in a single run. Cholic
acid was used as a surrogate internal standard
for quantitation due to its steroidal structure and lack of measurable
endogenous levels in blubber.
RESULTS: The lowest limits of quantitation for progesterone, testosterone, and
hydrocortisone were significantly
improved compared to previous studies using conventional LC/MS/MS. The lowest
limit of detection was 7 fg/μL using
a 1 μL injection volume. Calibration curves for steroid quantification showed
good linearity (r2>0.99) between 14 and 3620
fg/μL, and accuracy was <20% for interday and<10% for intraday. After
validation, the method was successfully applied
to quantification of steroids in gray whale blubber samples.
CONCLUSIONS: The nanoLC/MS/MS method is more sensitive than traditional
LC/MS/MS for steroid analysis. It is
also compatible with other important biopsy analyses due to its small blubber
mass requirement. This will benefit the
reproductive and stress assessments for all marine mammals, particularly
endangered populations. Copyright (c) 2017
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

The paper is available here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/rcm.7884/full

Please make any requests for copies to: mary.hay...@ttu.edu

Cheers,

Mary J Hayden
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Environmental Toxicology
The Institute of Environmental and Human Health
1207 S. Gilbert Dr. | Lubbock, TX 79416
Ph: 806-885-4567