Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce that our latest article about
infanticide attacks and associated epimeletic behaviour in free-ranging common
bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) has been published.

Díaz López, B., López, A., Methion, S., & Covelo, P. (2017). Infanticide
attacks and associated epimeletic behaviour in free-ranging common bottlenose
dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of
the United Kingdom, 1-9. doi:10.1017/S0025315417001266

Infanticide is considered a conspicuous expression of sexual conflict amongst
mammals, including bottlenose dolphins. Although reported previously in this
species, confirmed cases of infanticide and associated epimeletic behaviour are
very rare and their socio-behavioural context remains poorly understood. Here,
we provide evidence of epimeletic and infanticide behaviours in free-ranging
bottlenose dolphins in Galicia, NW Spain. After describing the observed events,
we include a complete description of the post-mortem examinations (where the
carcasses were recovered) in order to confirm the cause of death. With
evidences of blunt trauma in two of the presented cases, we confirm that the
calves were intentionally killed by adult individuals. The aggressive
interaction between adult individuals and the neonates together with the
observed ante-mortem injuries bore a strong resemblance to the behaviours and
traumatic injuries described in other cases of violent dolphin interactions in
other parts of the world. The circumstances under which these infanticides
occurred at our site fit the conditions proposed under the sexual selection
hypothesis. The difficulties for researchers to observe this type of behaviour
in the field and to find carcasses in good enough condition to determine the
cause of death, emphasizes the importance of this type of study.

You can access the article at: DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0025315417001266

If you cannot download the publication, you can request a pdf by emailing to:
br...@thebdri.com

Best wishes,

Bruno Díaz López
Chief biologist and Director
The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
Avenida Beiramar 192, O Grove 36980, Pontevedra, Spain
www.thebdri.com
0034 684248552

This email is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and the contents may be
legally privileged or contain proprietary and private informations. It is
intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this email. If
received in error, please notify the sender and delete the message from your
system immediately. Please note that neither the Bottlenose Dolphin Research
Institute BDRI nor the sender accept any responsibility for any viruses and it
is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any). Thank
you for your cooperation.