Dear MARMAM,

On behalf of my co-authors, I would like to announce the publication of our
article:

DeAngelis, A. I., Valtierra, R., Van Parijs, S. M., & Cholewiak, D. 2017.
Using multipath reflections to obtain dive depths of beaked whales from a
towed hydrophone array. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
142(2): 1078-1087 doi:10.1121/1.4998709.

Abstract

Beaked whales are deep divers, emitting echolocation clicks while at depth.
Little is known about the dive behavior of most species; however, passive
acoustic data collected with towed hydrophone arrays can provide depth
information using multipath reflections of clicks coupled with a
two-dimensional localization of the individual. Data were collected during
a shipboard survey in the western North Atlantic Ocean using a towed linear
hydrophone array. Beaked whale tracks were classified as either Cuvier’s
(Ziphius cavirostris) or Gervais’/True’s (Mesoplodon europaeus/Mesoplodon
mirus). Weighted species average depths and weighted species standard
deviations were 1158 m *+* 287 m for Cuvier’s (n= 24), and 870 m *+* 151 m
for Gervais’/True’s (n= 15). Depth uncertainties ranged from 3% to 142% of
the average depth. Slant ranges were corrected for depth to provide average
horizontal perpendicular distance estimates. The average horizontal
perpendicular distance distribution exhibited fewer detections in the first
bin than the second. This is the first report of dive depths for
Gervais’/True’s beaked whales and use of this method to obtain depths for
beaked whales using a towed linear array.

For the full article, please visit the publisher's website
http://asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4998709.

To request a PDF copy, please email annamaria.i...@noaa.gov.

Cheers,

Annamaria

Annamaria Izzi DeAngelis
*Research Analyst*
Passive Acoustics Research Group | Northeast Fisheries Science Center
166 Water Street, Woods Hole, MA 02543