Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share news of a recent publication in Marine
and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology.

L Torre-Williams, E. Martinez, J.O. Meynecke, J. Reinke & K.A. Stockin (2019):

Presence of newborn humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) calves

in Gold Coast Bay, Australia

Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology, Volume 52 Issue 5.

To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/10236244.2019.1671769

ABSTRACT

The majority of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) undertake an annual
migration from high latitude feeding grounds to tropical/subtropical breeding
grounds. Suitable calving habitat for this species includes warm (typically
19°C to 28°C), shallow, sheltered waters in tropical and subtropical waters.
Here, we investigated occurrence of calving beyond the primary recognised
breeding grounds (16° to 24°S) of the east Australian humpback whale population
(E1). We examined location, depth (m), and SST (⁰C) associated with newborn
observations in Gold Coast Bay, in southern Queensland, Australia from 2013 to
2016. A total of 74 newborns were recorded in the study area, with the majority
observed in July and August. These findings may signify that the Gold Coast Bay
provides an apparently suitable habitat for calving for this humpback whale
population. As the area has not been classified as calving habitat, these
findings will assist conservation managers in making informed management
decisions regarding this species.

Best wishes,

Laura Torre-Williams

l.to...@griffith.edu.au<mailto:l.to...@griffith.edu.au>