Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my coauthors, I am pleased to announce our recent publication in
Frontiers in Marine Science:

Barlow, D. R., Pepper, A. L., & Torres, L. G. (2019). Skin deep: An assessment
of New Zealand blue whale skin condition. Frontiers in Marine Science, 6, 757.

ABSTRACT: Skin condition assessment of wildlife can provide insight into
individual and population health. Yet, logistics can limit skin condition
assessment of large whales. We developed a standardized, quantitative protocol
using photographs to assess skin condition of blue whales in New Zealand, and
demonstrate the value gained by testing hypotheses, documenting new
morphologies, and establishing baselines that can be monitored for change. We
reviewed a photo-identification catalog to compile common markings, categorized
markings according to existing definitions, and described markings not
previously documented. Photographs of blue whale skin (n=1,466) were assessed
to quantify marking prevalence, severity, and co-occurrence patterns. Of the
whales assessed (n=148), 96.6% had cookie cutter shark bites, 80.4% had blister
lesions, 56.0% had pigmentation blazes on the dorsal fin, and 33.7% had holes
in the dorsal fin. Additionally, 35.8% had “starburst” lesions, a previously
undocumented marking. Blister and cookie cutter shark bite severity did not
accumulate linearly, indicating that the two marking types are unrelated. There
was a positive relationship between blister severity and number of starbursts,
indicating that the two could be related; based on morphological similarities,
starburst lesions may derive from ruptured blisters. Whales with holes in their
dorsal fin had significantly higher blister severity than those without,
indicating that these markings could be related; this is supported by observed
blisters on dorsal fins of blue whales. There was a significantly higher
probability of fresher cookie cutter shark bites on whales observed at more
northerly latitudes, but no relationship between blister severity or number of
starbursts and latitude. These latitudinal patterns indicate that blue whales
in New Zealand accumulate cookie cutter shark bites at more northerly
latitudes; this finding is supported by the known range of cookie cutter sharks
in New Zealand waters. Of the eight individual whales re-sighted across
multiple years, there was no uniform pattern in lesion change over time,
however individual cases revealed lesion healing over a multi-year timeframe.
Our protocol for quantifying skin condition can be applied to any cetacean
photo-identification catalog, and can be used to compare across individuals and
populations, and explore causal links between skin condition and cetacean
health.

The full article is open access, and available online:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2019.00757/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Marine_Science&id=488863

Please feel free to contact me at dawn.bar...@oregonstate.edu with any
questions or to request a PDF copy.

Cheers,
Dawn

Dawn Barlow
PhD Student
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Marine Mammal Institute
Oregon State University, Hatfield Marine Science Center
Geospatial Ecology of Marine Megafauna Lab<https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/gemm-lab>
dawn.bar...@oregonstate.edu