Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of this short
note on the first confirmed stranding of a *True’s beaked whale* (*Mesoplodon
mirus*) in Britian, which was published in Mammal Communications earlier
this month.

The 490cm long female stranded on a rocky shore at Kearvaig Bay, in the
north-west of Scotland, on the 29th January 2020. This finding adds a
fourth new cetacean species to strand on the UK shoreline since stranding
surveillance schemes began in 1990.

The paper is freely available and can be downloaded via the following link:
https://www.mammal.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/MC2003_TruesBeakedWhale-1.pdf

Corresponding author: Andrew Kitchener, (a.kitche...@nms.ac.uk)

Many thanks,

Mariel

*Mariel ten Doeschate MSc*

Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme

Department of Veterinary and Animal Science

Northern Faculty, SRUC

An Lòchran, 10 Inverness Campus

Inverness, IV2 5NA

www.strandings.org