Dear MARMAM members,

On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to announce our new publication on
pilot whale biosonar in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.

Pedersen, M. B., Tønnesen, P., Malinka, C. E., Ladegaard, M., Johnson, M.,
Aguilar de Soto, N., and Madsen, P. T. (2021).
Echolocation click parameters of short-finned pilot whales (Globicephala
macrorhynchus) in the wild
The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 149, 1923-1931,
https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0003762

Abstract
Short-finned pilot whales (Globicephala macrorhynchus) are large, deep-diving
predators with diverse foraging strategies, but little is known about their
echolocation. To quantify the source properties of short-finned pilot whale
clicks, we made 15 deployments off the coast of Tenerife of a deep-water
hydrophone array consisting of seven autonomous time-synced hydrophone
recorders (SoundTraps), enabling acoustic localization and quantification of
click source parameters. Of 8185 recorded pilot whale clicks, 47 were
classified as being recorded on-axis, with a mean peak-to-peak source level
(SL) of 181 ± 7 dB re 1 μPa, a centroid frequency of 40 ± 4 kHz, and a duration
of 57 ± 23 μs. A fit to a piston model yielded an estimated half-power (–3 dB)
beam width of 13.7° [95% confidence interval (CI) 13.2°–14.5°] and a mean
directivity index (DI) of 22.6 dB (95% CI 22.5–22.9 dB). These measured SLs and
DIs are surprisingly low for a deep-diving toothed whale, suggesting we sampled
the short-finned pilot whales in a context with little need for operating a
long-range biosonar. The substantial spectral overlap with beaked whale clicks
emitted in similar deep-water habitats implies that pilot whale clicks may
constitute a common source of false detections in beaked whale passive acoustic
monitoring efforts.

The article is available from the Journal of Acoustical Society of America at
https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0003762
If you do not have access to the pdf, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Michael Bjerre Pedersen, PhD Student

Marine Bioacoustics Lab<http://www.marinebioacoustics.com>

Zoophysiology, Dept. Biology