Hi all,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our new publication in Polar
Research:

Brun, C., Blanchet, M.-A., Ims, R.A., & Aars, J. (2021) Stability of space use
in Svalbard coastal female polar bears: intra-individual variability and
influence of kinship. Polar Research. https://doi.org/10.33265/polar.v40.5355

ABSTRACT

Philopatry influences animal distribution and can lead to a kinship-based
spatial structure, where proximity and relatedness are tightly linked. In the
Barents Sea region, polar bears (Ursus maritimus) of the coastal ecotype remain
year-round within the Svalbard archipelago. This coastal strategy is thought to
be stable across years; however, little is known about the intra-individual
variability in site fidelity or the influence of kinship on space use. Using
high-resolution GPS telemetry, we looked at multi-year philopatry among 17
coastal female polar bears over eight years (2011–19) and investigated whether
it is linked to the females’ degree of kinship. Individuals showed a stable
space use in both consecutive and non-consecutive years. Yearly individual home
ranges (HRs) overlapped, on average, by 44% (range: 9–96%), and their centroids
were, on average, 15 km (range: 2–63 km) apart. The space use of related
females revealed a year-round strong female kin structure. Annual HRs of
related females overlapped, on average, by 24% (range: 0–66%), and their
centroids were, on average, 18 km (range: 2–52 km) apart. In contrast,
non-related females had much larger distances between centroids (average: 160
km, range: 59–283 km). Additionally, females showed a great site fidelity in
all seasons: individual seasonal HR centroids were, on average, less than 30 km
(range: 1.8–172 km) apart. Bears in this region seem to exhibit a stronger site
fidelity than those reported from other parts of the species range. These
findings also highlight the importance of maternal learning in space use.

The article is in open access, you can use the following link:
https://polarresearch.net/index.php/polar/article/view/5355

Cheers,

Clément Brun