Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of myself and my co-authors, we are excited to share the
following paper:

*Vocal repertoire, micro-geographical variation and within-species acoustic
partitioning in a highly colonial pinniped, the Cape fur seal*

Mathilde Martin, Tess Gridley, Simon Elwen, Isabelle Charrier

*Abstract*
Communication is fundamental for the survival of animal
species as signals are involved in many social interactions
(mate selection, parental care, collective behaviours). The
acoustic channel is an important modality used by birds
and mammals to reliably exchange information among
individuals. In group-living species, the propagation of
vocal signals is limited due to the density of individuals and
the background noise. Vocal exchanges are, therefore,
challenging. This study is the first investigation into the
acoustic communication system of the Cape fur seal (CFS),
one of the most colonial mammals with breeding colonies of
hundreds of thousands of individuals. We described the
acoustic features and social function of five in-air call types
from data collected at two colonies. Intra-species variations in
these vocalizations highlight a potential ability to convey
information about the age and/or sex of the emitter. Using
two classification methods, we found that the five call
types have distinguishable frequency features and occupy
distinct acoustic niches indicating acoustic partitioning in
the repertoire. The CFS vocalizations appear to contain
characteristics advantageous for discrimination among
individuals, which could enhance social interactions in their noisy
and confusing acoustic environment. This study provides a basis for
our understanding of the CFS acoustic communication system.

Royal Society Open Science 8:202241
https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.202241

Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Best regards,

--
*Mathilde MARTIN*
PhD Student

Acoustic Communications Team, Department Cognition & Network Neuroscience
NeuroPSI - Paris-Saclay Institute of Neuroscience
151 rue de la Rotonde, 91400 Saclay, FRANCE
https://neuropsi.cnrs.fr

Tel: +33 (0)1 69 82 63 56
Email: mathilde.mar...@universite-paris-saclay.fr
Website: https://mathildemartin-research.com/