Dear Colleagues,
My co-authors and I are pleased to present our recently published paper in
Marine Mammal Science titled "Behavior related vocalizations of the Florida
Manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris).

 Citation: Brady, B., Moore, J., & Love, K. (2021). Behavior related
vocalizations of the Florida manatee (*Trichechus manatus
latirostris*). *Marine
Mammal Science*, 1– 15. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12904

Abstract
Florida manatees (*Trichechus manatus*) produce five broadly defined call
types (squeaks, squeals, high squeaks, chirps, squeak-squeals) but their
use in social and nonsocial settings is unclear. The goal of this study was
to investigate whether call categories and structure of manatee
vocalizations varied with behavior. Multiple hydrophones were used to
record vocalizations in four different environments and broad behavioral
states. Vocalizations recorded from resting, cavorting, stressed, or
feeding wild animals were subjected to mixed linear effects models to test
whether vocalizations produced varied with behavior and calf presence.
Measures of duration, entropy, and frequency modulation were extracted from
vocalizations to investigate if structural parameters differ among
behaviors. Although all five call categories were recorded, results suggest
manatees vocalize using primarily three call types and vary the structure
of the call based on behavior. High squeaks were correlated with calf
presence. High entropy squeals were proportionally higher during cavorting
suggesting they may be related to a heightened state of arousal. Squeaks
were the dominant call type produced and were longer in duration and higher
in frequency modulation when animals were stressed. This research provides
a foundation for comparative studies on vocal behavior for the Florida
manatee as well as studies on related species.

The publication is in early view online, Please email bbr...@mote.org for a
pdf.
Best,
Beth Brady, PhD