Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our
new paper in Marine Pollution Bulletin comparing theodolite and
photogrammetry methods to assess impacts of boat noise on killer whales.

The paper is available open access:
Lo, C.F., Nielsen, K.A., Ashe, E., Bain, D.E., Mendez-Bye, A., Reiss, S.A.,
Bogaard, L.T., Collins, M.S., Williams, R., 2022. Measuring speed of vessels
operating around endangered southern resident killer whales (Orcinus orca)
in Salish Sea critical habitat. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 174, 113301.
<https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MARPOLBUL.2021.113301>
https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MARPOLBUL.2021.113301

ABSTRACT: Motorized vessels are a major source of anthropogenic noise and
can have adverse effects on species relying on sound for communication and
feeding. Monitoring noise levels received by endangered southern resident
killer whales (SRKWs) requires knowing the number, distance, and speed of
surrounding vessels, including small boats that do not have Automatic
Identification Systems (AIS). A method for estimating their speed is
required to predict received noise levels and compliance with vessel
regulations. We compared theodolite and photogrammetry methods to estimate
the number, distance, and speed of vessels in SRKW Salish Sea summertime
critical habitat. By treating AIS as "truth", we found
photogrammetry-derived ranges and speeds were more variable than theodolite
estimates. Error in photogrammetry-derived speeds increased with range.
Overall, we found time saved in the field using photogrammetry was more than
offset by long analysis time. Theodolite data were relatively easy to
collect, and produced accurate and precise results.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Catherine Lo, MSc

Research Associate

Oceans Initiative