Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our new study in
Scientific Reports.

Frouin-Mouy H., Mouy X., Pilkington J., Küsel E., Nichol L., Doniol-Valcroze T.
& Lee L. 2022. Acoustic and visual cetacean surveys reveal year-round spatial
and temporal distributions for multiple species in northern British Columbia,
Canada. Scientific Reports 12: 19272.  doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-22069-4

Abstract: Cetaceans spend most of their time below the surface of the sea,
highlighting the importance of passive acoustic monitoring as a tool to
facilitate understanding and mapping their year-round spatial and temporal
distributions. To increase our limited knowledge of cetacean acoustic detection
patterns for the east and west coasts of Gwaii Haanas, a remote protected area
on Haida Gwaii, BC, Canada, acoustic datasets recorded off SG̱ang Gwaay (Sep
2009–May 2011), Gowgaia Slope (Jul 2017–Jul 2019), and Ramsay Island (Aug
2018–Aug 2019) were analyzed. Comparing overlapping periods of visual surveys
and acoustic monitoring confirmed presence of 12 cetacean species/species
groups within the study region. Seasonal patterns were identified for blue,
fin, humpback, grey and sperm whale acoustic signals. Killer whale and
delphinid acoustic signals occurred year-round on both coasts of Haida Gwaii
and showed strong diel variation. Cuvier’s, Baird’s, beaked whale and porpoise
clicks, were identified in high-frequency recordings on the west coast.
Correlations between environmental factors, chlorophyll-a and sea surface
temperature, and cetacean acoustic occurrence off Gwaii Haanas were also
examined. This study is the first to acoustically monitor Gwaii Haanas waters
for an extended continuous period and therefore serves as a baseline from which
to monitor future changes.

Open access available at:

Please feel free to reach out (hfrouinm...@uvic.ca) with questions.

Best regards,