Dear Colleagues,
Jo Kershaw and I would like to inform you of our forthcoming review paper
in Marine Biology, in which we tackle the question: do dead cetaceans
really have more blubber lipid than live ones? I would be happy to provide
a pdf if you wish to read the full paper. The web link, title and abstract
are below.
Best wishes
Conor Ryan

Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00227-022-04138-4
Title: Lipid-loss in blubber biopsies is universal in cetaceans
highlighting a need for new health assessment measures

Abstract: For cetaceans to be sentinels of environmental change, reliable
methods to assess overall health and physiological state are required.
Blubber lipid content of remotely darted biopsies has been used to
approximate energy stores and overall health. However, studies on beluga
(Delphinapterus leucas), fin (Balaenoptera physalus) and killer whales
(Orcinus orca) found a sampling effect (lipid-loss) biasing blubber biopsy
lipid content. To determine if this applies to all cetaceans, we conducted
a literature review, comparing the lipid content of outer blubber from
biopsy (darted) and stranding (excised) samples for 27 species. For 16
species of five taxa (Balaenidae, Balaenopteridae, Delphinidae,
Physeteridae and Ziphiidae), independent observations (n = 1346) of both
biopsies and strandings were available. With taxon as a factor, a beta
regression model (pseudo-R2 = 0.638) determined that the mean lipid content
of biopsies is 11.1 ± 1.9% lower than that of strandings. Post hoc Šidák
tests confirmed that the difference among sampling methods was
statistically significant (α = 0.05) for all taxa (p < 0.001). This is a
universal problem, likely due to tissue disruption associated with the
force of the biopsy dart resulting in lipid loss and confirms that biopsy
lipid content estimates are unreliable indicators of health or body
condition. Our results have unexplored implications for the quantification
of blubber biopsy lipid fractions for fatty acid or contaminant analyses,
for example. There is a welfare and conservation imperative to develop
alternative markers of overall health and physiological state from
biopsies. In this regard, emerging technologies such as ‘omics analyses
look particularly promising.

website: conorryan.photography
twitter: @whale_nerd <https://twitter.com/whale_nerd>
instagram: @whale_nerd <https://www.instagram.com/whale_nerd/>