Dear MarMamers
We would like to share our new open-access publication that investigated how
breathing is affecting heart rate. The details about the paper can be found
below, and please send me an email if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Andreas

Title Cardiorespiratory coupling in the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)
Authors: A. Fahlman, J. C. Mcknight, A. M. Blawas, N. West, A. G. Torrente, K.
Aoki
Journal: Frontiers Physiology
doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2023.1234432
Abstract:
Introduction: The bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) is an intermittent
breather, where the breath begins with an exhalation followed by inhalation and
an extended inter-breath interval ranging from 10 to 40 s. Breathing has been
shown to alter both the instantaneous heart rate (ifH) and stroke volume (iSV)
in the bottlenose dolphin, with a transitory ventilatory tachycardia following
the breath, and an exponential decrease to a stable ifH around 40 beats • min−1
during the inter-breath period. As the total breath duration in the dolphin is
around 1 s, it is not possible to assess the contribution of exhalation and
inhalation to these changes in cardiac function during normal breathing.
Methods: In the current study, we evaluated the ifH response by separating
expiration and inspiration of a breath, which allowed us to distinguish their
respective contribution to the changes in ifH. We studied 3 individual male
bottlenose dolphins trained to hold their breath between the different
respiratory phases (expiration and inhalation).
Results: Our data show that inspiration causes an increase in ifH, while
expiration appears to result in a decrease in ifH.
Discussion: These data provide improved understanding of the cardiorespiratory
coupling in dolphins, and show how both exhalation and inhalation alters ifH.