My take on The Future Lasts Forever is that Althusser murdered Helene
because he could not bear what she was telling him: that he had sold out
the revolution to save the Communist Party.

His theory of history as a process without a subject is summarised in
the murder: Helene is the subject that he has to expunge from history.
She stand for the historical subject of the French working class that he
denies. His defence against culpability is to deny his subjectivity,
through the plea of insanity.

And then the miserable little pig has the nerve to complain that he has
no rights. He should have been hung. Helene is the real hero of the
book, whose voice Althusser must obliterate.

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris
Burford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

--
Jim heartfield