George misses the point of Marx's comment. All wealth takes the form of
commodities. The fact that something is not being sold at that moment
does not stop it from being a commodity. (More to the point, George only
recognises consumer goods and not capital goods as commodities).

George: I never said that the fact that something is not being sold at the moment does
not
stop it from being a commodity. What I said was much more modest: Marx is wrong when he
claims that the wealth of capitalist society appears in the form of an immense
accumulation of commodities. Much of the wealth appears in the form of
non-commodities. If
anything it appears in the form of an immense accumulation of use values.

Jim: A factory that remained unsold throughout its lifetime would be a rare
exception.

George: That is not my point. My point is that factories, under capitalism, are forms
of
fixed capital. As fixed capital they are not commodities. I never suggested that a
factory
cannot at some point assume the commodity form. However in its function as a factory
it is
a form of fixed capital and not a commodity.

There is no point in twisting and turning to avoid facing the simple fact that I am
right
and Marx wrong.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.eircom.net/~beprepared/

Be free to subscribe to our Communist Think-Tank mailing community by
simply placing subscribe in the body of the message at the following address:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]