"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." (1873)
                          -- Louisa May Alcott

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:09:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bob Malecki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: unknown
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: SV: M-TH: British intervention in Sierra Leone
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 06:01:16 +0200
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Nice post Jim. But you should have said that Chris Buford's position is basically the
mirrored reflection of George's in a sense. Whereas George sees Capitalism/imperialism
in the negative, Chris always relies on its positive aspects which usually are hardly
positive at all. Both I claim will draw the wrong programatic and tactical conclusions.

I note that this kind of debate comes up always around a military intervention, in
this case Sierra Leone. So in this case communists should call for all NATO troops
out. There is nothing positive about a NATO intervention in Sierra Leone. And here I
disagree with George´s over simplified view of the situation. In fact what is
happening in Africa is directly connected to the destruction of the former Soviet
Union and this is historical dialectical materialism. And in fact I think that the
other side of the coin is hardly that U.S. imperialism is one of the actors on the
arena but a number of imperialist countries are actors.

What is different this time around is that it is not only the strategic oil states,
but the entire continent, which is up for grabs..

However, thinking about your ending to George where you give proof of your position by
saying..

>One such, for example, is the
> numerical growth of the working class. Let George say that is
> reactionary.

What´s your take on events in Zimbabwe?

And another question to all...Is are we dealing with imperialism here or colonialism?
Interestingly enough is there are "trotskyists" claiming that we are seeing a period
of bourgeois revolutions taking place in Africa! Quite remarkable in itself..

Anyhow what is going on in Africa certainly reflects in a sense that inter imperialist
rivalry is increasing on some very interesting levels. One being the former SU and its
own wannabe intentions which with its nuclear arsenal is closed for any serious
outside intervention outside of a new world war. China opening up creates the same
scenario. So that leaves Africa open for a free for all by all.

Interestingly enough Africa because of its colonization history causes more problems
for core imperialist countries then let's say the wannabe Russia who needs to
consolidate its own position.

Cheers
Bob Malecki