At 06:44 23/05/00 +1000, Rob wrote:

>I see Moscow is threatening to drop some bombs on Afghanistan because the
>Taliban is allegedly (and unsurprisingly) helping out the Chechen
>separatists.

This is consistent with 100 years of imperial assumptions by Russia towards
Afghanistan. It is no accident that Putin had himself inaugurated in the
throne room of the Czars.

(British imperial history makes the contested nature of Afghanistan between
different empries quite clear. At least Britain got a thrashing early on.)

Policy towards Afghanistan has been one of the big crunches on the left,
with certain allegedly marxist groups supporting the Russian invasion of
1970 and the Brezhnev doctrine of limited sovereignty.

Unfortunately a large section of the left in the USA and in Europe will
once again feel indulgent towards Russia because Afghanistan has
undemocratic practices towards women.

>  the
>hegemons du jour prefer their foreign radicals to be of the right - as
>Trotsky warned when the boy Hitler first came under notice

Can you explain this reference?

>  - and as Caspian
>oil projections might recommend).

Can you explain again.