I am finding this discussion most frustrating. I wish I could easily collocate all the posts I've written in the past dozen years on this subject. Sigh. . . .

Briefly:

(1) Seed, imaginary numbers as negation of negation: stated and argued in this manner: these examples are empty verbiage. Engels was indeed in pursuit of something much ore serious, but along the way he dropped a number of ill-thought-out examples in his _unpublished_ writing, which was later taken as gospel.

(2) Confirmation of dialectical laws (or of formal logic): there is a basic conflation between natural law and logical law. Engels seems to have finessed the distinction, and the garbling was never corrected, though there have been attempts to do so (cf. Richard Norman). Formal logical laws make no direct assertions about ontological matters such as stasis, motion, change, etc. The real issue is the relationship of logic to ontology. These problems arise in the fusion of logic with ontology, as occurs historically with interpretations of both formal and dialectical logic. But if logic is conceived as a mode of valid and consistent inference of statements one from another, and not as a direct set of assertions about being, then the relationship between conceptions of logic and ontology can evolve into a more mature analysis. If it turns out that we cannot adequately formulate a system of assertions about being without eliminating the contradictory relationships between categories, then dialectical logic has something to do. But physical processes have nothing to do with dialectical laws per se; rather, dialectical laws, if such exist, are logical abstractions describing the categorial relationships of concepts (which in turn reference empirical realities) one to another.

(3) Confirmation of dialectical laws/processes: the historical problem with diamat rhetoric is the positing of correlations of abstract categorial statements (which cannot deduce empirical matters, as we should know since Hume and Kant) with specific empirical contents (scientific theories & examples of natural phenomena). To wit, your examples:

CB: I don't recall if I said it here, but his formulation "there is only
matter and its mode of existence is motion" seems a quite exact forumuation
of the philosophical-physics issue that was addressed experimentally by
Michelson and Morley in discovering no absolute rest/ether and used
theoretically by Einstein in the relativity of all motion ( no absolute
rest). Change is absolute. Rest is relative. It's quite a remarkable
philosophical anticipation of the events in actual physics.

Also, the way Engels emphasizes in _The Dialectic of Nature_ the
transformations of one form of matter into another makes me think about E =
MC squared which is a formula for the transformation of mass into energy and
vica versa. I haven't thought this one through as much, but there might be
something there.

Note that general ontological statements about matter, motion, energy, etc. lack the specificity to be translated into special relativity or any other scientific theory. There is no substance here to the argument that Engels anticipates relativity. A better developed argument would look for more substantive remarks by Engels and show that the world-picture delineated therein has some substantive relationship to the conceptual reorganization mandated by revolutionary developments in scientific theories.

You may be right about heuristics, but in context of this discussion, I would again bring up Gerald Holton's notion of themata.