Thanks much, Steve,for the encouragment. I will take you up on it. I ,
actually, have written out some closely related ideas which critique these
early sections of _The German Ideology_ ( which , of course, was not
published as it was a bit of thinking out loud for themselves by the young
Marx and Engels, so they recognized that it might contain speculative errors
in some ways) ... in an essay "For Women's Liberation". I'll look for an
electronic copy and forward it here.

Charles

Steve Gabosch
Thanks for your response, it was a very good one.

Charles, I think you have the makings of a coherent Marxist essay on these
questions you raise.  It seems you already have the ingredients at hand for
such a study.  For my part, I see the point you stress about the centrality
of the intergenerational transmission of culture not as counterposed, but
as complementary to the theorizing Marx and Engels did about human
production and the social origins of humanity.  I think they would heartily
agree with you that the key is SOCIAL labor - (is there evidence to the
contrary?) - and would welcome your bringing to bear some of the relevant
wealth of new scientific knowledge from the social and life sciences that
has emerged since their time - knowledge that has greatly increased our
understanding of what humans have really done with nature, with one another,
and just what it means to be and act human.  Well-written and researched
Marxist articles on these kinds of questions are always needed.  Why not
give it a go?  Its a very important topic, and I think you are asking some
really good questions.

- Steve

<end>