Victor,

I spent a little time reviewing Ilyenkov's article "The Concept of the Ideal" (available on MIA ), and the notes I published on xmca about it last year. Below, I have copied paragraphs 66 - 90 from EVI's 142-paragraph essay. I don't find your comments today about ideality and materiality consistent with Ilyenkov's theory as I interpret it.

Even were I to somehow convince you of that, it still would not necessarily make Bakhurst right, of course. I notice that one big problem with Bakhurst's presentation in his chapter on the concept of the ideal is he does not focus on or even mention how Ilyenkov's concept of the ideal is a generalization of the labor theory of value to all human activity. In fact, he does not mention the labor theory of value at all. As I think about it, this avoidance of the most important argument by Ilyenkov considerably weakens his presentation. But as I say, I don't think the real issue is Bakhurst's comprehension of Ilyenkov's theory of the ideal. I think the real issue is Ilyenkov's theory itself, whether it can flow from the labor theory of value, and how does it apply.

As I see it, the key concept in this regard that Ilyenkov offers is that just as Marx discovered how social relations can be "embodied" into things in the form of commodities - through the incorporation of abstract labor into the value-form - so too, Marxists can explain that social relations are embodied in all cultural objects - through the incorporation of meaningful cultural activity into the ideal form.

Ilyenkov explains that plain materialists and idealists alike make the error of viewing the boundary between the material and the ideal as being the world of the inside versus that of the outside of each individual human head. In contrast, he argues that according to dialectical materialism, ideality and materiality must be distinguished in terms of the composition of each object - both the composition of the physical attributes, which of course are the sources of its materiality, and the composition of its social origins and social context, which are the sources of its ideality - just as Marx analyzed the composition of the commodity. According to Ilyenkov's theory, objects within the human cultural realm objectively possess both materiality and ideality, just as commodities in a market economy possess both concrete and abstract labor, possess both use-value and exchange-value.

I think a close look at Ilyenkov is needed to proceed. Below are paragraphs 66-90 (my numbering) from the 142-word essay. I realize this is a lot of material, but it is a complex idea. Each paragraph is preceded by some comments or headings by me. My annotations have an SG in them and are preceded by "*****." The full article as at
http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/ideal/ideal.htm
Please note there are some scanning errors in this version and I strongly suspect there are some translation errors in the printed edition, both of which contribute much to making this already difficult article fairly opaque to read. I annotated this important essay partially for my own learning, and partially in the hope that it could become the basis of an annotated edition of this essay at some point, which might help others study and understand it.

- Steve

selections from Evald Ilyenkov "The Concept of the Ideal" (1977), annotations by Steve Gabosch (SG):
66 - 69  Ideality in Use-Value and Exchange Value  SG

*****[66. SG. Ideality in the form of exchange value consists in the fact that a coat, for example, can be a form of expression of something quite different, for example, linen. Their exchange values are mutually represented.

66
According to Marx, the ideality of the form of value consists not, of course, in the fact that this form represents a mental phenomenon existing only in the brain of the commodity-owner or theoretician, but in the fact that the corporeal palpable form of the thing (for example, a coat) is only a form of expression of quite a different ?thing? (linen, as a value) with which it has nothing in common. The value of the linen is *represented*, expressed, ?embodied? in the form of a coat, and the form of the coat is the ?*ideal or represented* form? of the value of the linen.

*****[67.  SG.  EVI presents a well-read quote by Marx.]

67
?As a use-value, the linen is something palpably different from the coat; as value, it is the same as the coat, and now has the appearance of a coat. Thus the linen acquires a value-form different from its physical form. The fact that it is value, is made manifest by its equality with the coat, just as the sheep?s nature of a Christian is shown in his resemblance to the Lamb of God.? [Capital, Vol. I, p. 58.]

*****[68. SG. This ideal or represented form of value is a completely objective relationship.]

68
This is a completely objective relationship, within which the ?bodily form of commodity B becomes the value-form of commodity A, or the body of commodity B acts as a mirror to the value of commodity A?, [Capital, Vol. I, p. 59.] the authorised representative of its ?value? nature, of the ?substance? which is ?embodied? both here and there.

*****[69. SG. The value-form is ?ideal,? it is something quite different from the physical thing in which it is represented.]

69
This is why the form of value or value-form is *ideal*, that is to say, it is something quite different from the palpable form of the thing in which it is *represented*, expressed, ?embodied?, ?alienated?.

70 - 73  Is It Consciousness and Will That Is Being Represented?  SG

*****[70.1 SG. What is being represented? Will? No. And now EVI makes another of his central most important crucial essential points in this article.

*****[70.2 SG. What is being represented is a definite *social relationship between people* which before their eyes takes the form of a *relationship between things*.

70
What is this ?other?, this difference, which is expressed or represented here? People?s consciousness? Their will? By no means. On the contrary, both will and consciousness are determined by this objective ideal form, and the thing that it expresses, ?represents? is a definite social relationship between people which in their eyes assumes the fantastic form of a relationship between things.

*****[71. SG. In commodity exchange, people?s activity is materially established in the form of a relationship between things. This occurs regardless of conscious knowledge it is happening.

71
In other words, what is ?represented? here *as a thing is* the form of people?s activity, the form of life activity which they perform together, which has taken shape ?behind the back of consciousness? and is materially established in the form of the relationship between things described above.

*****[72. SG. The appearance of the value of one thing in the physicality of another alone creates ideality.

72
This and only this creates the ideality of such a ?thing?, its sensuous-supersensuous character.

*****[73. SG. Here is where the ideal form stands in direct opposition to individual consciousness as an external thing, not as itself, but in the form of another equally palpable thing that expresses something different from either thing. What is represented in these two things (the coat and the linen in Marx?s example) is human labor, the transformation of nature by social humanity.]

73
Here ideal form actually does stand in opposition to individual consciousness and individual will as the *form of the external thing* (remember Kant?s talers) and is necessarily perceived precisely as the form of the external thing, not its palpable form, but as the form of another equally palpable thing that it represents, expresses, embodies, differing, however, from the palpable corporeality of both things and having nothing in common with their sensuously perceptible physical nature. What is embodied and ?represented? here is a definite form of labour, a definite form of human objective activity, that is to say, the transformation of nature by social man.

74 - 79  The Answer To the Riddle of Ideality  SG

*****[74. SG. EVI drives the point home. According to Marx, ideality is nothing else but social human activity represented in the thing.]

74
It is here that we find the answer to the riddle of ?ideality?. Ideality, according to Marx, is nothing else but the form of social human activity represented in the thing. Or, conversely, the form of human activity represented *as a thing*, as an object.

*****[75. SG. Ideality is a kind of stamp impressed on the substance of nature by social human life activity. All things involved in the social process acquire this stamp ? this ideality.

75
?Ideality? is a kind of stamp impressed on the substance of nature by social human life activity, a form of the functioning of the physical thing in the process of this activity. So all the things involved in the social process acquire a new ?form of existence? that is not included in their physical nature and differs from it completely ­ their ideal form.

*****[76. SG. Where no people are socially producing or reproducing material life, where none are working collectively, there is no ideality. However, this does not mean ideality is a product of conscious will. To the contrary, conscious will is a product of ideality.

76
So, there can be no talk of ?ideality? where there are no people socially producing and reproducing their material life, that is to say, individuals working collectively and, therefore, necessarily possessing consciousness and will. But this does not mean that the ?ideality of things? is a product of their *conscious will*, that it is ?immanent in the consciousness? and exists only in the consciousness. Quite the reverse, the individual?s consciousness and will are functions of the ideality of things, their comprehended, *conscious ideality*.

*****[77.1 SG. Ideality is purely social in origin. It is human activity outside itself, it is the activity of a person outside that person.

*****[77.2 SG. Here, then, is the key to the whole mystery. This is the real basis for all kinds of idealistic constructions and conceptions both of man and of a world beyond man. EVI points out problems with trying to ?fix? idealist constructions, which will slip away.

77
Ideality, thus, has a purely social nature and origin. It is the form of a thing, but it is outside this thing, and in the activity of man, as a *form of this activity*. Or conversely, it is the form of a person?s activity but outside this person, *as a form of the thing*. Here, then, is the key to the whole mystery that has provided a real basis for all kinds of idealistic constructions and conceptions both of man and of a world beyond man, from Plato to Carnap and Popper. ?Ideality? constantly escapes, slips away from the metaphysically single-valued theoretical fixation. As soon as it is fixed as the ?form of the thing? it begins to tease the theoretician with its ?immateriality?, its ?functional? character and appears only as a form of ?pure activity?. On the other hand, as soon as one attempts to fix it ?as such?, as purified of all the traces of palpable corporeality, it turns out that this attempt is fundamentally doomed to failure, that after such a purification there will be nothing but phantasmal emptiness, an indefinable vacuum.

*****[78. SG. It is absurd, as Hegel knew, to speak of activity that is not realized in something definite, even if it us just words. Activity that has no embodiment is better understood as inactivity.]

78
And indeed, as Hegel understood so well, it is absurd to speak of ,activity? that is not realised in anything definite, is not ?embodied? in something corporeal, if only in words, speech, language. If such ?activity? exists, it cannot be in reality but only in *possibility, only* potentially, and, therefore, not as activity but as its opposite, as *inactivity*, as the absence of activity.

*****[79. SG. This leads Hegel to believe that the ?spirit? as the ideal must oppose itself to an object, something different from itself.]

79
So, according to Hegel, the ?spirit?, as something ideal, as something opposed to the world of corporeally established forms, cannot ?reflect? at all (i.e., become aware of the forms of its own structure) unless it preliminarily opposes ?itself to itself?, as an ,object?, a thing that differs from itself.

80 - 85  Marx's Development of Hegel's Concept of Ideality  SG

*****[80. SG. Marx uses the analogy of the mirror and the need of humans to recognize themselves in others to explain the value-form of commodities.]

80
When speaking of value-form as the ideal form of a thing, Marx by no means accidentally uses the comparison of the mirror: ?In a sort of way, it is with man as with commodities. Since he comes into the world neither with a looking glass in his hand, nor as a Fichtean philosopher, to whom ?I am I? is sufficient, man first sees and recognises himself in other men. Peter only establishes his own identity as a man by first comparing himself with Paul as being of like kind. And thereby Paul, just as he stands in his Pauline personality, becomes to Peter the type of the genus homo.? [Capital, Vol. I, p. 59.]

*****[81.1 SG. EVI continues to describe the parallel between Marx?s theory of the ?ideality? of the value-form and Hegel?s understanding of ?ideality.?

*****[81.2 SG. In my opinion, the next sentence may contain EVI?s clearest alternative title for this article, and perhaps a more explicit formulation of his theory. He says that Hegel?s ideality takes into account the dialectics of the emergence of the collective self-awareness of the human race. This phrase collective self-awareness may be worth setting aside for further examination. Is Ilyenkov?s Concept of the Ideal the basis for a Marxist Theory of Collective Self-Awareness?

*****[81.3 SG. Hegel?s ?spirit? must first turn into an object - first, in the form of the word, then in the forms of all cultural artifacts. Hegel realized that ideality can only be known through an analysis of its embodiments.

81
Here Marx plainly indicates the parallel between his theory of the ?ideality? of the value-form and Hegel?s understanding of ?ideality?, which takes into account the dialectics of the emergence of the collective self-awareness of the human race. Yes, Hegel understood the situation far more broadly and profoundly than the ?Fichtean philosopher?; he established the fact that ?spirit?, before it could examine itself, must shed its unblemished purity and phantasmal nature, and must itself turn *into an object* and in the form of this object oppose itself to itself. At first in the form of the Word, in the form of verbal ?embodiment?, and then in the form of instruments of labour, statues, machines, guns, churches, factories, constitutions and states, in the form of the grandiose ?inorganic body of man?, in the form of the sensuously perceptible body of civilisation which for him serves only as a glass in which he can examine himself, his ?other being?, and know through this examination his own ?pure ideality?, understanding himself as ?pure activity?. Hegel realised full well that ideality as ?pure activity? is not directly given and cannot be given ?as such?, immediately in all its purity and undisturbed perfection; it can be known only through analysis of its ?embodiments?, through its reflection in the glass of palpable reality, in the glass of the system of things (their forms and relationships) created by the activity of ?pure spirit?. By their fruits ye shall know them-and not otherwise.

*****[82. SG. According to Hegel ideal forms are realized in some material, or they remain unknown to the active spirit. To examine these ideal forms they must become ?reified,? turned into forms and relations of things. Only this way can ideality exist.

82
The ideal forms of the world are, according to Hegel, forms of activity *realised* in some material. If they are not realised in some palpable material, they remain invisible and unknown for the active spirit itself, the spirit cannot become aware of them. In order to examine them they must be ?reified?, that is, turned into the forms and relations of *things*. Only in this case does ideality exist, does it possess *present* being; only as a reified and reifiable form of activity, a form of activity that has become and is becoming the form of an object, a palpable thing outside consciousness, and in no case as a transcendental-psychological pattern of consciousness, not as the internal pattern of the ?self?, distinguishing itself from itself within itself, as it turned out with the ?Fichtean philosopher?.

*****[83. SG. In the form of individual consciousness, ideality cannot become real. It becomes real in the course of its reification (treating ideas as real objects, fetishism), objectification (transforming human activity into a real object), deobjectification (transforming natural objects into humanized objects), alienation (estrangement) and the sublation (supersession, synthesis, overcoming) of alienation. EVI emphasizes that these concepts, compared with those of Kant and Fichte, were far superior for embracing human social development.

83
As the internal pattern of the activity of *consciousness*, as a pattern ?immanent in the consciousness?, ideality can have only an illusory, only a phantasmal existence. It becomes real only in the course of its reification, objectification (and deobjectification), alienation and the sublation of alienation. How much more reasonable and realistic this interpretation was, compared with that of Kant and Fichte, is self-evident. It embraced the actual dialectics of people?s developing ?self-consciousness?, it embraced the actual phases and metamorphoses in whose succession alone the ?ideality? of the world exists.

*****[84. SG. EVI points out that this is why Marx joined Hegel and not Kant or Fichte with regard to terminology.]

84
It is for this reason that Marx joins Hegel in respect of terminology, and not Kant or Fichte, who tried to solve the problem of ?ideality? (i.e., activity) while remaining ?inside consciousness?, without venturing into the external sensuously perceptible corporeal world, the world of the palpable forms and relations of things.

*****[85. SG. The Hegelian use of the term ideality refers to the entire range of the physically embodied activity of social humankind.]

85
This Hegelian definition of the term ?ideality? took in the whole range of phenomena within which the ?ideal?, understood as *the corporeally embodied form of the activity of social* man, really exists.

86 - 89  Fathoming the Miracles of the Commodity  SG

*****[86. SG. Commodities, money, and words, for example, are wholly ?material,? but their acquire their meaning from the ?ideal,? from ?spirit.?

86
Without an understanding of this circumstance it would be totally impossible to fathom the miracles performed before man?s eyes by the COMMODITY, the commodity form of the product, particularly in its money form, in the form of the notorious ?real talers?, ?real rubles?, or ?real dollars?, things which, as soon as we have the slightest theoretical understanding of them, immediately turn out to be not ?real? at all, but ?ideal? through and through, things whose category quite unambiguously includes *words*, the units of *language*, and many other ?things?. Things which, while being wholly ?material?, palpable formations, acquire all their ?meaning? (function and role) from ?spirit? and even owe to it their specific bodily existence .... Outside spirit and without it there cannot even be words, there is merely a vibration of the air.

*****[87. SG. This secret of the ideality of ?things? was first revealed by Marx in his analysis of the value form.]

87
The mysteriousness of this category of ?things?, the secret of their ?ideality?, their sensuous-supersensuous character was first revealed by Marx in the course of his analysis of the commodity (value) form of the product.

*****[88. SG. Marx characterizes the commodity form as an ideal form. This form has nothing in common with the actual body in which it is represented (realized).

88
Marx characterises the commodity form as an IDEAL form, i.e., as a form that has absolutely nothing in common with the real palpable form of the body in which it is represented (i.e., expressed, materialised, reified, alienated, realised), and by means of which it ?exists?, possesses ?present being?.

*****[89. SG. A commodity is ideal because it does not include any of the substance of the body in which it is represented. Likewise, the physical thing in which it is represented includes none of the original commodity?s materiality. There is no boot polish in a gold coin, and no gold in boot polish. But certain amounts of each are considered to have equal value. To add a few lines of my own, how can gold and boot polish be equal? How can they mirror the other? They can do so because they are mirroring not themselves, but a social relationship that they each represent, in this case, a quantity of human labor. What kind of mirror is this that can perform such a feat? This is the mirror of ideality, which allows social relationships to be represented in things. Returning to EVI?s line of discussion, this act of representation can take place outside the head of the seller and buyer. Everyone can spend money without knowing what money is.]

89
It is ?ideal? because it does not include a single atom of the substance of the body in which it is represented, because it is the form of quite *another body*. And this other body is present here not bodily, materially (?bodily? it is at quite a different point in space), but only once again ?ideally?, and here there is not a single atom of its substance. Chemical analysis of a gold coin will not reveal a single molecule of boot-polish, and vice versa. Nevertheless, a gold coin represents (expresses) the value of a hundred tins of boot-polish precisely by its weight and gleam. And, of course, this act of representation is performed not in the consciousness of the seller of boot-polish, but outside his consciousness in any ?sense? of this word, outside his head, in the space of the market, and without his having even the slightest suspicion of the mysterious nature of the money form and the essence of the price of boot-polish.... Everyone can spend money without knowing what money is.

90  The Ideal Is Objective  SG

*****[90. SG. A fluent speaker can have trouble with their own language when they try to understand the relationship between sign and meaning. Linguistic studies could place them in the position of the centipede who was unwise enough to ask himself which foot he steps off on. The difficulty of understanding ideality consists in the fact that ideal forms, like the value-form, the form of thought, or syntactical form, turn into something objective, completely independent of anyone?s consciousness, and occur outside the head ? although not without its participation. The ideal is objective.]

90
For this very reason the person who confidently uses his native language to express the most subtle and complex circumstances of life finds himself in a very difficult position if he takes it into his head to acquire consciousness of the relationship between the ?sign? and the ?meaning?. The consciousness which he may derive from linguistic studies in the present state of the science of linguistics is more likely to place him in the position of the centipede who was unwise enough to ask himself which foot he steps off on. And the whole difficulty which has caused so much bother to philosophy as well lies in the fact that ?ideal forms?, like the value-form, the form of thought or syntactical form, have always arisen, taken shape and developed, turned into something objective, completely independent of anyone?s consciousness, in the course of processes that occur not at all in the ?head?, but most definitely outside it ­ although not without its participation.
<end of selection from essay>
<end of my post>