I continue to enjoy this thread, but will be gone for some days and it will probably be a little while after that before I can reengage. I will think about the position Charles and Ralph have taken on the relationship of the brain to the origins of humanity. I think Engels' argument about how labor created the human hand applies also to the brain, language organs, bipedalism, etc. so I will try to make a case for that. And I have been enjoying the exchanges between Ralph and Victor, especially on the issues of the role of practice in science, the nature of scientific thought, and the big question, just what is nature - and can humans really "know" what nature is in any fundamental ontological sense. I recently read the book by Bakhurst that Victor mentions, and have a different take on it. Briefly put, I disagree with Bakhurst's negative assessment of Leninist politics, his tendency to see Stalinism as a form of Bolshevism, and his general opinion of dialectics. But I agree with many of his insights into Ilyenkov and Vygotsky.

Oops, got to get packing.  See you all again soon.

- Steve