Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Bush: No bailouts for automakers
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
WASHINGTON -- President Bush said he wouldn't back government bailouts
for automakers in the wake of a massive restructuring announcement by
General Motors Corp. He also rejected efforts to force Americans to do
more to conserve gasoline.

"I don't think the government ought to be involved with bailing out
companies. ( unless they are hedge funds and investment banks - CB) I
think the government ought to create the conditions so that companies
can survive," Bush said at a White House press conference.

Bush was asked whether companies like "General Motors, which today is
cutting jobs, announcing they're going into the credit market to raise
billions of dollars -- are there other entities that are so crucial to
stability that require government action to show support for them?"

 GM spokesman Greg Martin said the automaker hasn't sought a government
bailout. "The action and urgency is on our shoulders," Martin said,
saying the company.

Bush also rejected calls to mandate fuel conservation. "People can
figure out whether they need to drive more or less; they can balance
their own checkbooks," Bush said.

But he noted the shift in consumer demand in the auto industry.
"Consumers are beginning to say, wait a minute, I don't want a gas
guzzler anymore, I want a smaller car," he said. "The automobile
industry is beginning to adjust here at home as consumer demand
changes."

You can reach David Shepardson at (202) 662 - 8735 or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com