Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Ken Wilson: Faith and Policy
Evangelicals embrace science to become environmentalists

There is a shift in the American religious landscape. Evangelicals who
have been known to affix the adjective "wacko" to the term
"environmentalist" are starting to go green.

Calls to return to the biblical heritage of environmental stewardship
are pouring from leaders like Richard Cizik, the vice president for
governmental affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals, Rick
Warren, the author of "The Purpose Driven Life," and Bill Hybels, the
voice for over 6,000 churches in his Willow Creek Association.

What began as a trickle and has swelled into a steady stream is bound
to become a flood as evangelicals in America become the new
environmentalists. We will bring new energy to address the growing
global environmental crisis of a warming climate, an alarming extinction
rate, the rapid loss of land that can grow crops and more than a billion
people without clean drinking water.

Why am I so sure? Because evangelicals love to rediscover biblical
truths that have been long neglected in the church and dive into them
with passion. Good stewardship of God's green earth is a hallmark of
faithfulness to the earth's creator. The Bible is shot through with this
emphasis, but many evangelicals have been blind to it for cultural
reasons.

 The fact is most evangelicals are suspicious of environmentalism
because many environmentalists are secular and view abortion on demand
as an important tool for slowing population growth. But evangelicals are
sophisticated enough to realize that pro-choice environmentalists can be
wrong about abortion but right about the need to protect the
environment.

And evangelicals are undergoing a reawakening to environmental concern
because scientists, including secular ones, are reaching out to us to
say, "We need your help." For the first time in a long time evangelical
leaders are meeting face to face with scientists for real dialogue.

Scientists and evangelicals are finding they have more in common than
either group realized. They are in the process of blowing stereotypes of
each other out of the muddy waters of media-managed myths.

Carl Safina, a secular environmental ocean conservationist, has
partnered with me to gather two such groups -- one at the University of
Akron and another at Ohio State University -- after attending one
ourselves in Georgia. We find that when the scientists and evangelical
pastors get together for a day, they come away shaking their heads and
saying, "I was wrong about those people." They start listening to and
learning from each other and God's good earth or the environment -- call
it what you will -- is the better for it.

After all, the founder of Christianity had a rule that summed up his
reading of the Law and the Prophets (his Bible): Do unto others as you
would have them do unto you.

When scientists who are alarmed by the way we're treating the planet
and evangelicals who realize that human beings have a built-in capacity
for mischief get together and listen to each other, good things are
bound to happen. Even better, God things are bound to happen. And Lord
knows, the creation has been groaning for this day to arrive for a long
time.

Ken Wilson is pastor of Vineyard Church of Ann Arbor and co-founder of
The Friendship Collaborative, bringing evangelical pastors together with
environmental scientists to discover common ground. E-mail comments to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com