M-TH: underconsumptionism
Thu Oct 1 10:26:53 MDT 1998

James,

Once again you cut off part of the quote.
The aspect in which Lenin most directly
contradicts
the point of your argument, compounding
my suspicion of your dishonesty.

Here is the original exchange again with
the fuller quote from Lenin, which
you cut short a second time below:

___________________

James Heartfield wrote the folloiwng in response to my
statement:

Charles:
>Why would the bourgeois
>always be seeking new markets and yet
>discouraging consumption ? This is not
>Marxist logic.
________

James H.
'On the problem of interest to us, that the home market, the main
conclusion from Marx's theory of realisation is the following:
capitalist production, and consequently, the home market, grow not so
much on account of articles of consumption as on account of means of
production. In other words, the increase in means of production outstrips
the increase in articles of consumption.'

Lenin, Development of Capitalism in Russia, p 54
_____________

Charles :
But in the same passage Lenin went on to say:

"For capitalism, therefore, the growth of the home
market is to a certain extent "independent" of the
growth of personal consumption, and takes place
mostly on account of productive consumption.
BUT IT WOULD BE A MISTAKE TO UNDERSTAND
THIS "INDEPENDENCE" AS MEANING  THAT
PRODUCTIVE CONSUMPTION IS ENTIRELY
DIVORCED FROM PERSONAL CONSUMPTION:
THE FORMER CAN AND MUST INCREASE
FASTER THAN THE LATTER (AND THERE
ITS "INDEPENDENCE" ENDS), BUT IT GOES
WITHOUT SAYING THAT, IN THE LAST
ANALYSIS, PRDUCTIVE CONSUMPTION IS
ALWAYS BOUND UP WITH PERSONAL
CONSUMPTION. MARX SAYS IN THIS
CONNECTION: "...WE HAVE SEEN
(BOOK II, PART III) THAT CONTINUOUS
CIRCULATION TAKES PLACE BETWEEN
CONSTANT CAPITAL AND CONSTANT
CAPITAL..."(MARX  HAS IN MIND
CONSTANT CAPITAL IN MEANS
OF PRODUCTION , WHICH IS REALISED
BY EXCHANGE AMONG CAPITALISTS
IN THE SAME DEPARTMENT). "IT IS AT
FIRST INDEPENDENT OF INDIVIDUAL
CONSUMPTION BECAUSE IT NEVER
ENTERS THE LATTER. BUT THIS
CONSUMPTION DEFINITELY LIMITS IT
NEVERTHELESS, SINCE CONSTANT
CAPITAL IS NEVER PRODUCED FOR ITS
OWN SAKE BUT SOLELY BECAUSE MORE OF
IT IS NEEDED IN SPHERES OF PRODUCTION
WHOSE PRODUCTS GO INTO INDIVIDUAL
CONSUMPTION "  (DAS KAPITAL, III,
1, 289, RUSS. TRANS., P242; OR MOSCOW
1959 P.299-300)
emphasis added by Charles.

So, when we read the whole passage
we see that Lenin and Marx agree with us
not James H. in this thread.
 (end of original exchange)
___________

You may be insulted, but you are the
one who did something that would
raise reasonably suspicions in
anybody's mind. Why
did you leave out the portion of
the quote from Lenin that immediately
follows what you quoted and
very much contradicts what
you were quoting Lenin for ?
Either you did it on purpose or
it is a big oversight (in a daze).
Why did you do it again in
your post below ? Cutting off
the portion of the quote of Marx
by Lenin that cuts against your
argument the strongest.

As for you being insulted
by my posts and not reading
them, that would be like
a wrongdoer being insulted
when their wrong is pointed out.
It is a further fraudulence,
fraudulent posturing. Perhaps
others will read my posts
exposing your half-quoting
and discount your arguments
accordingly.

It is not a matter of you being
insulted. It is a matter of you
cleaning up your act.

In the quote from Mattick below
first I point out that neither
you nor Mattick claim that
Marx did not say it. Secondly,you act
as if Mattick is somekind
of authority who can reverse
the plain meaning of Marx's words in
the quote:" The ultimate
reason for all real crises always
remains the poverty and
restricted consumption of the
masses..." You and Mattick
can try to twist that all you want,
but it's meaning is clear.  "Ultimate
reason" means "ultimate cause".
So when you try to say Marx
didn't make this part of whatever
theory of crisis he putforth, you
just can't do it. As has already been
said about 50 times on this thread,
the well known fact that Marx is
always analyzing contradictions means
that the law of the tendency of the
rate of profit to fall is also part of his
analysis of the cause. You keep
dishonestly portraying what others and
I are saying as if we don't include
the latter. That is more evidence
of your dishonesty. You blatantly
half quote your opponents as well
as Lenin.

Charles Brown

>From the market to the Marxit

Then Charles quotes

> Lenin went on to say:
>
>"For capitalism, therefore, the growth of the home
>market is to a certain extent "independent" of the
>growth of personal consumption, and takes place
>mostly on account of productive consumption.
>BUT IT WOULD BE A MISTAKE TO UNDERSTAND
>THIS "INDEPENDENCE" AS MEANING  THAT
>PRODUCTIVE CONSUMPTION IS ENTIRELY
>DIVORCED FROM PERSONAL CONSUMPTION:
"

But did I say any different? Where did I say that production was
entirely divorced from consumption? I only said

>'On the problem of interest to us, that the home market, the main
>conclusion from Marx's theory of realisation is the following:
>capitalist production, and consequently, the home market, grow not so
>much on account of articles of consumption as on account of means of
>prouction. In other words, the increasse inmeans of produciton outstrips
>the increase in articles of consumption.'

> Lenin quotes Marx:
>
>"The ultimate reason for all
>real crises always remains the
>poverty and restricted consumption
>of the masses as opposed to the
>drive of captialist production to develop
>the productive forces as though only
>the absolute consuming power of
>society constituted their outer limit "
>(Capital vol. III, Moscow, 1959, pp.
>472-73) ; quoted in The Development
>of Capitalism in Russia.

I agree with the following from Paul Mattick who quotes the above
passage in his Economic Crisis and Crisis Theory, adding

'However, these remarks provide no foundation for a theory of crisis
based on underconsumption, nor can the realization of surplus value be
made the principle problem of the capitalist mode of production.' (p62)

The restricted consumption of the masses is the precondition of
exploitation, the source of surplus and of the drive to expand the
forces of production. Overaccumulation of capital, not overproduction of
commodities is the origin of capitalist crisis.

How anyone could read The development of Capitalism in Russia as
anything other than a polemic against underconsumptionism is a mystery
to me.

ElsewhereIn message <s612395c.056 at ci.detroit.mi.us>, Charles Brown
<CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> writes
>Charles: Here Heartfield arrogantly

> I've
>already caught James H. in dishonest half
>quoting

> fraudulently

> Your statement that
>someone has is dishonest like the rest
>of your argument.

>Your arguments dishonestly
>ignore what we have said repeatedly.

>You argue

>as if you are in a daze.

But if Charles really thinks that I am dishonest, fraudulent, in a daze,
then there is little point in continuing this conversation. Holding such
a low opinion of me, I can't see why Charles would be sufficiently
interested  in what I say to answer it; and I on my part have no wish to
read Charles' posts only to be insulted.
--
Jim heartfield

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com