Ralph Dumain
> As for Lamarckism and cultural evolution, I'm wary of such
> metaphorical thinking. Lewontin's response is unclear. More on this later.

^^^^^^^^
CB: I don't think it's used as a metaphor.   Culture is a major
adaptive mechanism for the human species, it is extra-somatic, but it
functions like somatic changes. It is not in our genes, but it can be
adaptive the same way that a gene that is selected for is adaptive.  A
cultural invention in one generation or "acquired" by one generation
can be inherited , culturally, by the next generation.

^^^^^^^^