This is an absolutely fascinating page about wolves and other wolf-like canines.
What strikes me most when reading it, is that the sheer utter success
of the wolves and coyotes
in being top-predator in all the places that humans eventually got to.
It also shows me I know very little
about wolves, but they are a fascinating group of beings to co-evolve
with. It seems most likely that the coy-dogs of E. US are not
coyote-dog mixes but red wolf-dog mixes, although the coyote is
hybridizing with red wolves. I like the story of a coyote who made a
point with a dog owner: he attacked the guys shepherd and didn't kill
him, but left him 'emasculated'.

http://hal_macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/wolves.html

CJ