Stephen, sorry I don't speak German very well at all, certainly not sufficient
to read any of this material in German. But thanks anyway.

CB, I think you misinterpreted me - perhaps it's my own inadequate
self-expression - I think Bourdieu's approach is fundamentally marxist - it
does not negate marxism. On the other hand I think that he adds some additional
thoughts coherent with marxism. He has the advantage of expressing himself very
carefully and precisely.

Here's a good piece by him which covers a lot of ground:

http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/fr/bourdieu.htm

I think Fromm approached the same issue from a slightly different perspective
using psychoanalytic methods.

Again, I see Fromm took great care to maintain the decisive but not finally
determinate role of the (productive) material base but I think it is valid to
see how fundamentally human (animal) drives are repressed by dominant material
(social) conditions can influence ideology through the subconscious.

In both cases, I was wondering if comrades here had come across arguments which
might run counter to these. The issue at stake is the accusation of 'idealism'
a la Lenin or from Marcuse. In regard to the latter, I think I would tend to
agree with Fromm who reversed the accusation to point to Marcuse's philosophy
being based on a disconnect with psychoanalytic research (and the dogmaticism
of Freudian concepts).

In regard to Lenin's assault on idealism, that's another question - perhaps
comrades would be able to give their opinions on it? There would appear to be
some consensus that it was misplaced although Timpanaro appears to stand over
the bulk of his remarks pointing to their context as opposed to their expressed
content. I do not know enough on this to really have a set opinion so would
value any thoughts.

Yours,

Domhnall