Growth and social justice
King sets a new agenda, chooses Toyota as its lead organizing target
BY BRENT SNAVELY
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

• MORE: Follow our coverage of the UAW Annual Convention

• PHOTO GALLERY: UAW march against Wall Street

King's top organizing target is Toyota, even though he acknowledged
the union has had no luck in the past with its efforts to organize the
Japanese automaker.

"The first battleground is Fremont, Calif.," King said, because of
Toyota's decision to exit a partnership with General Motors at New
United Motor Manufacturing Inc., or NUMMI, a decision that left 4,700
out of work in April.

"We are going to show Toyota and the world when any employer takes an
anti-union action, it's a bad business case because they are going to
pay a much higher price than they would if they work with the UAW,"
King said.

Toyota has said it will form a partnership with Tesla to build
electric cars at the plant, and the UAW has urged the companies to
rehire UAW workers.

Toyota also announced Thursday that it will resume construction of its
Mississippi plant, which had been halted when auto sales tanked in
2008, and plans to hire 2,000 workers at the Blue Springs factory to
build the Corolla compact.

"California should be outraged," King said.

Toyota spokesman Mike Goss said Toyota closed NUMMI because it became
too costly to operate after General Motors pulled out of the joint
venture. Most of the Corolla suppliers are in the Midwest.

"It had nothing to do with wanting to pay lower wages," Goss said.

King said the UAW also could picket Toyota dealerships. King, 63, who
earned a law degree in 1973, has long been known as a successful
organizer and a vocal social-justice advocate.

After he spoke on Thursday, the UAW handed out navy T-shirts that said
"mobilizing for justice," and King led hundreds of members through
downtown Detroit as they chanted slogans like, "no peace, no justice,"
and "good jobs now."

Leaders from the Teamsters, NAACP and other unions joined him on stage
on Woodward Avenue.

"We will never ever have success where our membership is concerned if
we are not part of a large, broader social movement," King said.

King wants the UAW to return to its roots to fight for civil rights
and the First Amendment.

At its height in 1979, the UAW had 1.5 million members, but plant
closures have cut its ranks to about 355,000. King said the UAW can
only regain its strength if it organizes all of the major competitors
in an industry.

Union members said they were energized by King's speech and his agenda.

"I just hope he can save some plants from closing," said Marcus
Carpenter, who works at a Ford plant in St. Paul, Minn., that builds
the Ranger and is scheduled to close in 2011.

King said the UAW's goal is always to negotiate the best wages and
benefits possible for its members, and didn't rule out revisiting a
$14 per hour second-tier wage that was established in the 2007 labor
agreement.

King also announced the duties of other top officers:

• Joe Ashton of New York will lead the General Motors department.

• Jimmy Settles was re-elected vice president and will lead the
union's Ford, aerospace and insurance departments

• General Holiefield was re-elected vice president and will lead the
union's Chrysler, heavy truck and General Dynamics departments.

• Cindy Estrada, director of UAW national organizing, was elected vice
president and will lead the auto supplier, public sector and health
care department.

• Dennis Williams, a director in Chicago, was elected
secretary-treasurer of the UAW and will lead the agricultural
manufacturing department.

Contact BRENT SNAVELY: 313-222-6512 or bsnav...@freepress.co