>>Certainly, the possibility of reducing the
cost of production and increasing profits by introducing technical
improvements operates in the direction of change. But the tendency to
stagnation and decay, which is characteristic of monopoly, continues
to operate, and in some branches of industry, in some countries, for
certain periods of time, it gains the upper hand.... imperialism is an
immense accumulation of money capital in a few countries, amounting,
as we have seen, to 100,000-50,000 million francs in securities. Hence
the extraordinary growth of a class, or rather, of a stratum of
rentiers, i.e., people who live by ?clipping coupons?, who take no
part in any enterprise whatever, whose profession is idleness. T<<

And if you read Dickens' last completed novel, Our Mutual Friend, you
get a narrative that depicts very much the same things. I know people
are going to disagree with you and me on this one, but I have to say,
you are right to re-iterate Lenin's points here, here and now. It's a
tautological argument to say that this time it's different somehow
deep down simply because things have changed, or the structures have
changed, or the relations have changed. We of all people know history
doesn't simply repeat itself. But what some wiseacres need to do is
show how in essence, in substance the banking and financial disasters
of the 19th and 20th centuries are categorically different not simply
because it is "this time around" and "things have changed".

CJ