I had a quick look at *Lenin's Tomb* in the hope that Richard would have
had something to say about the UK & EU spat. Alas he is silent so far on
the affair.

My only source of commentary here are the Irish Times and the Guardian.  Of
the two the Guardian is the more important at least in this matter.  They
are of course openly pro-Europe and have come out strongly against
Cameron's use of the veto.

That is not to say that the crisis lacks an interesting dimension from an
Irish point of view. I noticed the Irish Prime Minister was the only one to
kiss Cameron's ass as he strode out of the conference. Almost everyone else
was afraid to be seen with him.  Ireland it seems is torn between sticking
with its still biggest trading partner (UK) or becoming even closer to
Europe.

I wonder however what it is all about. It would appear that the EU central
bureaucracy have made a quite astonishing and undemocratic grab for power.
The individual nations have been asked (I think) to surrender power over
their economies. No British PM could have signed up to that deal, surely.
Yet using the veto has opened up the fear of British isolation.

It also has put a genuine strain on the coalition between the Tories and
the Lib Dems.  The latter are quite happy to see the working class put to
the sword, but anything which looks to be anti-EU brings out a sincere
squeak of outrage from the LIB-Dems.  Their leader too, Clegg, who
initially was uncritical of Cameron has to save his own leadership begun to
openly criticise his Tory partner.

I should note that the gutless wonder himself, Ed Milliband, has also made
some critical noises. None of the criticisms though address the
fundamentally undemocratic nature of what has been proposed - all power to
the bureaucracy. Clegg thinks Cameron could have stalled more and tried to
finesse things. Both he and Milliband talk of the dangers of UK isolation.
The nationalistic right of the Tory party are leaping with joy. I can
almost hear the choruses of *Rule Britannia.*

What though is it all about at a deeper level?  I hardly have a clue here.
There was one comment on the age old British policy in Europe to oppose the
European hegemon.  In this case it would be once more Germany would it not?
Are we heading yet again into a Britain versus Germany thing?

Ever since De Gaulle's decision to keep the Germans close, it was always on
the cards, was it not, that a Britain versus Germany & France thing would
develop. The UK response to the EU has also been contradictory but perhaps
it could be summed up in the phrase "in it [EU] but not of it". The crisis
of the Euro has brought all those tensions and contradictions to the
surface.

I guess what I want to know, is something very serious going on?  Is
British capital trapped between the choice of capitulating to the Germans
or attempting to go it alone? There is no empire to go back to. The
"special" relationship that the UK claimed to have with the USA does not
appear to be worth a bucket of spit in this case. If anything the Americans
seems to be on the side of the Germans and the French.

Hoping for some comment and enlightenment

comradely

Gary