On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:33 AM, John Obrien <causecollec...@msn.com> wrote:

How could any Marxist on this list knowing history, state such ignorant
> bourgeois liberal crapabout conforming to legal codes of Britain and Sweden
> concerns - and not recognize this isa political case based on the exposing
> of governments foreign policies - and has nothing todo with women's rights.
>  Shameful ignorance!

I do not define, and have never defined, myself as a Marxist. Marxish,
perhaps.

If you choose to embrace willful ignorance of objective facts, that is a
decision you are entitled to make. But it is extremely unfair to the great
majority of Marxists, as well as the Marxist tradition, to attribute this
preference to Marxism.

And spare me the breathless moral panic, dude. I'm just not impressed by
that sort of thing.

For the record, I oppose Assange's extradition, for reasons that have as
much to do with Ecuador's national sovereignty and self-determination as
anything else. But I'm a little repulsed by the eagerness with which many
of Assange's most passionate defenders - inevitably men - dismiss
allegations of rape, argue (without a shred of support) that they simply
couldn't have happened, etc. As Sean reminded me in another thread, I've
now seen the phrase "legitimate rape" in two contexts today. If there's any
"shame" to be had here, it won't be found with me.

lytlað."