On 2014-05-04, at 3:33 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> On 5/3/14 10:10 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>> 1. The Euromaidan politicians have always been gung-ho to join NATO
>
> Except when it got in the way of horse-trading after the fashion of Clinton
> cutting deals with Republicans...Plus, both Yushchenko and Tymoshenko did not
> find Yanukovych's opposition to NATO a stumbling block to forming a coalition
> government in 2008. Nor did Yanukovych's orientation to Russia prevent him
> from coming close to a deal with EU for that matter. Positions taken by
> bourgeois politicians in Ukraine would embarrass Machiavelli.

Of course. In fact, it was I who drew your attention last month to the
horse-trading and shifting alliances between the oligarchs and politicians when
you waxed enthusiastic about the Orange and Euromaidan "revolutions" which
brought the pro-NATO politicians to power:

"The equally misnamed 'Orange Revolution' to which you've compared the latest
events fell far short of producing a "profound historical change for the
better", unless you have only in mind (and I know you don't) the revolving door
of kleptocrats and corrupt politicians from both western and eastern Ukraine
who have been the sole beneficiaries of the turmoil resulting in changes of
government. No better illustration of this latter point is there than Petro
Poroshenko, the prototypical oligarch and likely winner of Ukraine's
presidential election next month who has bounced back and forth between the
rival Yanukovych and Yushchenko/Tymoshenko camps depending on which way the
political wind was blowing."

http://greenhouse.economics.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2014-April/158312.html

BTW, there wasn't a coalition government in 2008 between the rival camps, as
you state above. There was a bitter falling out between Yushchenko and
Tymoshenko which prompted the latter to temporarily and opportunistically seek
parliamentary and political support from Yanukovych and the Putin government -
what Time magazine called a "marriage of convenience". But they never governed
together or held a common position on NATO.

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1838848,00.html

In any case, my comment yesterday was in response to your erroneous assertion
that Yushchenko and Tymoshenko did not, and do not, favour NATO membership.
This no longer seems to be in dispute.