Thank you to comrade Kutnii for providing  additional historical information
on this issue although I am still at odds over Lou's characterization of
Russian speakers in Ukraine as
an oppressive settler/colonizer  class.

Sergii wrote:
"I would say that SE Ukraine is analogous not to Ireland or Algeria but to some
parts of the US..."

I am reminded that the shipyards of Belfast were not only Protestant owned but
every job there was reserved for
Protestants. It was a neat bit of vertical class collaboration that was the
whole point of this in migration.
That is to say that this Irish minority was there to create a permanent
economic and political elite to suppress any signs of nationalism directed at
the ruling class. The same can be said for French colonial Algeria and the Boer
"Republic" in Southern Africa. Did this happen in Ukraine?

My specialized knowledge is limited but it seems to me that the oligarchs in
power in Kiev before, and afte,r the Euromaidan insurrection were all native
Ukrainian speakers. At the same time I believe that many of the coal miners and
industrial proletariat of Eastern Ukraine were and are native Russian speakers.
On the very street were the people were burned to death in Odessa, there were
violent clashes during the Bolshevik Revolution between Reds, Whites, and
supporters of Ukrainian independence. This is obviously a very complicated, and
multi-layered tragedy unfolding before us. At this point I simply can not
accept Lou's assertion that the right wing street fighters, animated by a
disturbing vision of who is a "Ukrainian," must be supported as a manifestation
of a national liberation struggle.