We have seen here repeated claims that the rrrevolutionaries in Syria never received any significant outside assistance. So when someone with total access to the truth slips up and blurts it out, we might as well take notice:

"The latest furor started after he spoke at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government last Thursday. Mr. Biden said American allies including Turkey, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates had extended unconditional financial and logistical support to Sunni fighters trying to oust the Syrian government of President Bashar al- Assad.

'Our allies poured hundreds of millions of dollars and tens of thousands of tons of weapons into anyone who would fight against al- Assad,' he said, including jihadists planning to join the Nusra Front and Al Qaeda.

Mr. Biden also confided that Turkey’s “President Erdogan told me — he is an old friend — ‘You were right. We let too many people through.'" (NYT, 7/10)
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu