On Tue, October 7, 2014 17:01, Shane Mage via Marxism wrote:

> We have seen here repeated claims that the rrrevolutionaries in Syria
> never received any significant outside assistance.

No that hasn't been claimed, which is why Biden's remarks are not breaking
news (to anyone but Shane). What has been claimed is that few or no actual
WEAPONS have been sent to them by the US despite earlier suggestions that
had the Syrian National Council, for instance, wasting their time (and
reputation) in pursuit of what they had been been led to expect. The big
chance that the FSA had to receive US weapons was last year when it would
have been under the condition of fighting al-Nusra on behalf of the US
which they rightfully refused.

Nor is it news that Turkey and several Arab states and private doners have
given relatively large amounts of aid. That aid went largely not to the
secular forces but "moderate" Islamic currents (but ones very much
carrying out the revolution, unlike ISIS), which further tilted the
balance in that direction and away from forces that might be viewed as
"left" or "democratic". So that has made it more difficult to convince
leftists and liberals in the West to support their revolution but hasn't
made the revolution any less valid. Most all of those forces are still
committed to democratic principles and pluralism. But like in Libya, where
the international left overwhelmingly abandoned the revolution at the
first sight of a NATO bomber, the left in Syria will have suffered from
our neglect, and I am quite sure will not be the leading party in the
first free election to take place in Syria.

- Jeff

P.S. I recommend reading "Why Does the Free Syrian Army Hate Us?" just
posted on this list by Michael Karadjis.

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu