#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

"...Materialism is in trouble, and we're all materialists now. Everything is
matter. There is no science that says beauty is truth or truth beauty, but the
gondolas are heaving with name-tagged materialists having their minds blown by
Venice. What is to be done with the sublime if you're proud to be a
materialist? To save the appearance of value, no theory is too unlikely, no
idea too far-out to float so long as it sounds like science - elementary
particles with teeny-weeny consciousness; or a cosmos with attitude; or the
life of the mind as the software of a biological computer. These are desperate
measures, Spike! What does materialism remind you of? It's a faith."

--Hilary in Tom Stoppard's "The Hard Problem," currently on stage in London