#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Dobb, for my money, completely misinterprets subsumption (or ‘subordination’ in
his Studies), putting it in a historicist, stagist frame. I would argue its
precisely not this (i.e. a periodisation), which is what most Marxist schools
of thought have traditionally argued. If you read the Results carefully, Marx
claims that real subsumption in one place/ sector will inaugurate formal
subsumption elsewhere. Massimiliano Tomba writes well about this in his book,
the name of which escapes me for now. But if you reject the methodological
nationalism of Brenner then this is the way forward when thinking through
subsumption – formal and real (hybrid and ideal are further sub-categories,
btw) in a complex interplay at the level of a global pool of surplus value.

Jamie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10