#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Dear Friend,

There is a great difference between a civilization, which has a much longer
time frame, and a regime or government. Saddam Hussein’s brutal
regime/government did not eclipse the very great social world of the Iraqi
people. Those who visited Iraq before 2003 and then after 2003 know exactly
what I mean by the destruction not only of the regime of Saddam Hussein’s
Ba’ath Party, but also of Iraqi society and – much more dangerously – of Iraqi
civilization.

A journey to Libya today is much perilous than it was last year, which was more
dangerous than the year before. With each year, Libya too descends into a
darkness that is not recognizable to those who lived there even ten years ago.
Many of the people that I knew who were fervent believers in the revolt of 2011
are either in exile (such as Fatima Hamroush), dead (such as Salwa Bughaighis)
or in great despondency (many of them too fearful for their lives to speak on
the record).

It is hard to understand how anyone can believe that there is a path forward
for these countries – thrown as they have been into the vortex of chaos.

Warm regards,
Vijay.